Winter is here and it’s time to prepare your home. Here is a helpful list to get you ready!
- Put your BBQ into storage – disconnect the propane and store it safely.
- Get out your emergency power outage box – stock it with matches, back up fire starters, candles, lanterns, power converter, extension cords, etc.
- Put all winter patio furniture into storage.
- Turn off irrigation and drain the system.
- Get out snow shovels and ice melt – place in easy to find locations.
- Change furnace filters.
- Get gas fireplaces and wood burning fireplace serviced by Lakeside Stove and Chimney (530-386-3569)
- Make sure your fireplace tools, shovel, and an ash bucket are placed in a non-snow area.
- Oil your garbage bin.
- Put up your ‘watch for falling snow’ signs.
- Wrap your aspen and willow trees.
- Inspect your exterior for critter access and pack up or reinforce the entry areas screens around the foundation.
- Grab several space heaters (for each room in the house) so we can use them if the furnace goes down or power shuts off.
- Call for your snow removal contact and make sure to add your snow removal company on your holiday card list.
Emergency box items: (get ready for the planned outages)
- Fire starters
- Flash lights
- Aportable battery pack / car jumper that allows cell phone charging
- Extra batteries
Suggestions for emergency box:
Portable power station/small generator
Refillable glass unscented pillar candles
Additionally, I suspect we will have some power outages this year and will have very cold temperatures this winter. Please email a description of where your water shut off is to your local handyman. If your water shut off needs repair or is not accessible, please consider having the value moved inside for easy access to turn off.
We hope you enjoy our tips! Stay prepared.